Sunday, February 04, 2007

WYSIWYB and John's 2007 Prediction

In 1999 a terabyte was a lot of storage. Today I can have a terabyte in a single disk on my system. In 1999 I upgraded my 56k modem to a screaming fast cable modem. Today.....well, I still have my cable modem. I know it is February, but I would like to make my prediction for 2007. I think 2007 will be the year of the home bandwidth upgrade. I think FiOS and other FTTP technologies will gain a lot of momentum as people demand better pipes (or tubes) to their homes.

A Robert Cringely column got me thinking about all of this. His recent column on WYSIWB was another excellent read on an exiting new technology from NuMetra. It may be dreaming (at this point), but NuMetra's technology would move the typically ISP over provisioning 20:1 ratio down to a What You Buy Is What You Get (WYSIWYG). Hey Robert -- watch the cracks about Vinton Cerf! :)

I almost wrote a post a while back on yet another Cringely column. He had an excellent piece on the Google monopoly and his thoughts. I thought I had an opinion on the article until I started reading all of the comments (270 in all). Afterwards I'm not sure what I think. :)

No comments: